Pre-Health Professions (Medopp) Advising Information
“The [Medopp] Advising Program helped me gain an understanding of how the medical school application process works and what I needed to do as a student to set myself apart as a competitive applicant. I found their advice was invaluable throughout my time at Mizzou. They helped me outline what I needed to do each year to stay on track, and they encouraged me to seek out new opportunities, for which I am incredibly grateful. I would recommend that all pre-med students utilize this resource if they are seriously considering a career in medicine.”
— Lizzie Fracica
A decision to pursue a career in the health professions requires careful preparation and self-evaluation. The staff of the Medopp Advising Office in the Honors College are available to assist all MU students contemplating careers in:
- Allopathic or Osteopathic Medicine
The Honors College offers a comprehensive Medopp Advising Program. Advisers are not only available by appointment to assist students on an individual basis, but also regularly communicate with students via a weekly Pre-Health Professions electronic newsletter and Blackboard site. In addition, the Medopp advisers regularly schedule workshops throughout the academic year for students.
Other services provided by the Medopp Advising office include, but are not limited to:
- Advice on course selection and admission requirements for professional programs
- Information on professional school admissions tests
- Guidance in making application to professional schools
- Guidance on letters of recommendation/evaluation
- Application workshops
- Individual reviews of personal statement, resume and other application materials
- Assistance in arranging physician shadowing, volunteering, research and community involvement opportunities
- Committee interview process and letter service for applicants
- Interview preparation and debriefing
- Information on post-baccalaureate programs and special master’s programs
- Summer program and internship opportunities
- Advice on alternative career options and future planning
- Assistance with re-application process
Contact: Call the Honors College at 573-882-3893 to schedule an appointment or to be added to the Pre-Health Professions listserv and/or blackboard site.
Students With Last Names A-L see:
Students with Last Names M-Z see:
For additional detailed information and course plans, please see the Pre-Health Professions Website.