Pre-Health Professions Advising Information
“The Pre-Med Advising Program helped me gain an understanding of how the medical school application process works and what I needed to do as a student to set myself apart as a competitive applicant. I found their advice was invaluable throughout my time at Mizzou. They helped me outline what I needed to do each year to stay on track, and they encouraged me to seek out new opportunities, for which I am incredibly grateful. I would recommend that all pre-med students utilize this resource if they are seriously considering a career in medicine.”
— Lizzie Fracica
A decision to pursue a career in the health professions requires careful preparation and self-evaluation. The staff of the Pre-Health Professions Advising Office in the Honors College are available to assist all MU students contemplating careers in:
- Allopathic or Osteopathic Medicine
The Honors College offers a comprehensive Pre-Health Professions Advising Program. Advisers are not only available by appointment to assist students on an individual basis, but also regularly communicate with students via a weekly Pre-Health Professions electronic newsletter and Blackboard site. In addition, the pre-health professions advisers regularly schedule workshops throughout the academic year for students.
Other services provided by the Pre-Health Professions Advising office include, but are not limited to:
- Advice on course selection and admission requirements for professional programs
- Information on professional school admissions tests
- Guidance in making application to professional schools
- Guidance on letters of recommendation/evaluation
- Application workshops
- Individual reviews of personal statement, resume and other application materials
- Assistance in arranging physician shadowing, volunteering, research and community involvement opportunities
- Committee interview process and letter service for applicants
- Interview preparation and debriefing
- Information on post-baccalaureate programs and special master’s programs
- Summer program and internship opportunities
- Advice on alternative career options and future planning
- Assistance with re-application process
Contact: Call the Honors College at 573-882-3893 to schedule an appointment or to be added to the Pre-Health Professions listserv and/or blackboard site. Students are assigned an adviser based on the first letter of their last name.
- Kristina Wright, Health Professions Adviser (last names A-L)
- Susan Geisert, Health Professions Adviser (last names M-Z)
For additional detailed information and course plans, please see the Pre-Health Professions Website.