Scholarships and Fellowships
The Honors College recognizes the achievements of its students through a variety of scholarships and special awards. Winners will be honored at the Honors College Spring Reception, held in April each year.
Honors College Endowed Scholarships
These scholarships are awarded only to currently-enrolled MU students. Students may apply for any or all of these scholarships by completing the Honors Scholarship Application. Applications for each year will be accepted from the start of Spring Semester.
Honors College Freshman Scholarship
An applicant must be enrolled as a freshman,* have a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA, and have freshman year coursework that represents the ideals of a good honors education.
Rhodes Clay Scholarship
An applicant must be enrolled as an Arts and Science freshman.* Selection is based on scholarship and literary attainment, without regard to financial need.
W. Alton Jones Memorial Scholarship
An applicant must be enrolled as an Arts and Science freshman or sophomore.* Particular attention is given to those who plan a major or career in art, music, communications, art history & archaeology, classical studies, philosophy, English, German, Russian, Asian Studies, or romance languages. Scholastic excellence and financial need (as determined by Financial Aid standards) are the basis for selection.
* Class standing is determined by year in college, not credit hours.
Honors College Sequence Scholarships and Awards
- Charles M. Hudson Scholarship in the Humanities — Awarded on the basis of outstanding performance in the HC Humanities Sequence and financial need.
- Harry J. & Richard Hocks Scholarship in the Humanities — Awarded for outstanding performance in the HC Humanities Sequence.
- Science Sequence Award for outstanding performance in the HC Science Sequence.
- Human Sciences Sequence Award for outstanding performance in the HC Human Sciences Sequence.
- Other Honors College Awards
- Honors College Research Grant — Awarded to the junior Honors student with the most promising research proposal.
- Discovery Fellows Award — Awarded for outstanding achievement as a Discovery Fellow.
- Honors College Best LBC Student Award — Awarded for outstanding performance in a Learning-by-Contract course.
- Outstanding Pre-Med Award — Awarded to an outstanding pre-medical or pre-dental student.
- Honors College Outstanding Senior Award — Awarded to an honors graduating senior nominated by a faculty member and chosen by a selection committee as best representing the mission/vision of the Honors College.
Please note: Most substantial scholarships for high-achieving MU students are administered by the University of Missouri Office of Financial Aid. In addition, the MU Fellowships Office provides information about selective external scholarships available to MU sophomores, juniors, and seniors, many of them designed to fund study abroad.