Launched in the 2017-18 school year, the Cherng Scholars program is supported by Peggy and Andrew Cherng and the Panda Charitable Foundation as part of our new Cherng Program in Honors at the University of Missouri.
Designed to enroll high-achieving out-of-state students each year, the program’s goal is to create a cohort of students representing every college on campus who are actively engaged in the campus, local, and state communities, but who have also achieved great academic success, and show great potential for leadership in a multitude of social and civic realms.
We firmly believe that the range of programming and opportunities will mean that, upon graduation, Cherng Scholars will go on to graduate schools or career choices that have been shaped by the pride and engagement they demonstrated in their university and their state.
The goals of the program are as follows:
- To create a highly selective and cohesive program that capitalizes on the strengths and opportunities available at MU and within Missouri
- To offer a four-year, sequential and progressively high-impact experience with unique opportunities that transcend the traditional classroom and co-curricular experience
- First year: Tutorials (up to six students) and up to four exclusive Scholars & Fellows professional development opportunities
- Sophomore year: Research or artistry experience
- Junior year: $750 grant for study abroad or study away (on an approved program)
- Senior year: Opportunity to be a Teaching Assistant (TA), in an Honors course, internship, or continue research or artistry experience
Entering freshmen who are non-Missouri residents and have an ACT composite score of 29 or better are eligible for the Cherng Scholars Program.
Entering freshman who are eligible to apply for the Honors College and wish to apply for the Scholars & Fellows programs may do so as part of the Honors College Application. You can access the Honors College application beginning August 15 after you apply for admission to Mizzou through your application status page. The Scholars & Fellows application is due by December 15, 2019.
Participants are selected by the Honors College Scholars and Fellows Committee in the spring. 30-40 scholars are selected for this award. To continue in the program you must maintain the GPA and participation requirements in the Honors College.
Owing to the support of the Cherng Program in Honors, students entering Mizzou in 2019-2020 who are selected as Cherng Scholars will receive a one-time scholarship of $1500. Every student in the program also has access to a study abroad/away grant of $750.
For More Information
For more information, please contact the Scholars & Fellows Coordinator, Ava Drayton (DraytonA@missouri.edu), or contact the Honors College at 573-882-3893.