The Panda – Mizzou Scholars Program is the newest Honors scholarship program.
Supported by a donation from the Panda Charitable Foundation, the program supports students pursuing majors in education or healthcare-related fields, such as health professions and nursing.
Dedicated to supporting efforts, across the nation, to improve healthcare and primary, secondary, and post-secondary education, Andrew and Peggy Cherng have made it one of their personal missions to provide the means to expand the number of highly trained teachers and healthcare professionals.
The Panda – Mizzou Scholars program is one of many programs that they have sponsored that ensures a future pipeline, ties together some of Mizzou’s greatest strengths, and gives undergraduates the means and mechanisms to pursue studies that will benefit them, their communities, and the country.
Click on the headings below for details and requirements of applying.
- This is a need-based scholarship of up to $2,500 per academic year. The scholarship is renewable each academic year until 2024. Some students may be eligible for more.
- An applicant must demonstrate “high-need” based on their FAFSA report and show an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $12,000 or less.
- Preference will be given to students from underrepresented or underserved populations, especially those who intend to provide education or health care services to underserved populations.
- Secondary preference will be given to students whose academic program (major, minor, MedOpp, certificate, etc.) will lead them into the education or health care fields, with the intent to serve underserved populations.
- Scholarship will only be renewable if student continues to meet program eligibility requirements.
- Be pursuing one of the following majors or pre-professional tracks: Education, Health Professions, Nursing, or Pre-Med / MedOpp (including pre-dental, pre-optometry, pre-pharmacy, podiatry, and pre-medical school). A student need not have one of these declared majors, but must have a declared intention to pursue medicine, healthcare, or education.
- Demonstrate high financial need as defined by the Office of Financial Aid
- Reside, at the time of selection, in one of the following states or territories: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MD, MI, MN, MO, NE, NV, NJ, NM, NY, OK, OR, PA, Puerto Rico, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI
- Be a citizen, national, or legal permanent resident of the U.S.
- Be in good standing as an active member of the Honors College if a current student, or be Honors-eligible as a current student (hold at least a 3.5 GPA), or be admitted into the Honors College as an incoming freshman
- Current students must be enrolled full-time at the University of Missouri
- Not have received a scholarship from any other scholarship program funded by the Panda Charitable Foundation.
- For incoming freshmen:
- You must submit your Honors College application before completing the Panda Scholars application.
- For current MU students:
- A current resume or CV
- A copy of your academic profile as found through MyZou. See application for details.
- For all students:
- A completed Permission to Release Information form which will allow the university to release financial information provided on your FAFSA to Panda Charitable Foundation.
- An essay of between 500-750 words responding to the following prompt:
Maya Angelou said, “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.” In your academic studies, co-curricular pursuits, and daily life as a student at Mizzou, how will you uphold these values, not only to others, but to yourself as well?
- Two letters of recommendation. Letters can be written by teachers or professors, academic counselors or advisors, mentors, or other individuals who can speak to your commitment to service to others. Please direct your recommenders to the button below to submit their letters.
Once you have all relevant required documents prepared, click the button below to complete a Panda-Mizzou Scholars Scholarship Program application.