Experiential Learning, Travel, & Technology Awards

What is the Experiential Learning, Travel, & Technology Award and who can apply for it?

The Honors College Experiential Learning, Travel, & Technology funds (HC-ELTA) provides additional financial support for honors students to participate in extended and engaged learning activities or in special circumstances acquire added technology to support their education.

The award is designed to help support opportunities for conducting off-campus research, attendance at academic conferences, workshops, leadership programs, or other participation in programs and events that substantively enhance a student’s education and outcomes.

If you have a question about the eligibility of an experiential learning opportunity you have in mind, please contact us to discuss it.

There are two avenues through which you can apply for HC-ELTA funding:


A. Honors College Student Experiential Learning Award (HC-SELA)

Due to budget cuts and University restrictions on student travel, HC-SELA is SUSPENDED for the 2020 – 2021 Academic Year. No funds will be awarded.

Honors students who are not part of a Scholars & Fellows program and who are not receiving funding through another MU Undergraduate Studies program are eligible to apply for a Student Experiential Learning Award (HC-SELA).

The Honors College offers cash awards between $100 and $500 to honors students pursuing supplemental experiential learning opportunities.

HC-SELA applications will be accepted until the academic year’s fund has been exhausted.  Please see below for details on eligibility and award requirements. A student may not receive these funds more than twice in their academic career at MU.


B. Scholars & Fellows Program Experiential or Technology Grants

Those Scholars & Fellows with additional funding as part of their award, may still receive support; see below. Usage restrictions, based on University rules, will apply.
Students belonging to one or more of our Scholars & Fellows programs (Stamps, Cherng, Show-Me, Brazeal, Cherng Summer Scholars, or National Merit) who wish to apply their enrichment fund awards towards any out-of-class experience must complete an HC-ELTA application.

Please note that students in these programs are not eligible to apply for HC-SELA funding, and these “accounts” are separate from the HC-SELA funds (even though we use the same application for both). Students may use their funds until they are exhausted. The amount varies by program, by year, and students were notified of the amount available when they accepted the award. These accounts require prior permission and approval of use from the Director.

At this time, only National Merit Scholars may use their funding (as specified in the award letter) to purchase technology hardware (computer, headphones, etc.). These items must be approved in advance and a student must provide a written rationale. Other program participants may appeal for an exception to this policy, and may (very rarely) be granted this ability as well. All students should be aware that in many cases, any technology purchased through MUHC funds remains the property of the College; please inquire if you have questions.

The application is below.

If you have questions about your experiential award, your account balance, or the uses and conditions for them, please contact our Scholars & Fellows Coordinator Ava Drayton.



Click on the headings below for details and requirements of applying.

In order to be considered for HC-ELTA funding, your application must reflect the following:
  • Applicant must be in good standing as an active member of the Honors College.
  • Applications are accepted year-round but must be received by the Honors College at least two months in advance of the intended use of the funds.
  • Students applying for HC-SELA funding: please note that a student may only receive this award once per year, up to two times during their undergraduate career.
Approved funds will be only be disbursed when the following post-experience requirement has been completed. Within one week of returning from the experience, all HC-ELTA funding recipients must submit:
  • A one-page essay (400-500 words) describing how the experience has enhanced their time as an Honors College student at Mizzou
  • At least one photo from the experience that you would like to share.
Approved funds will be disbursed in one of two ways, depending on the experience:
  • If you will be receiving University of Missouri credit hours as part of the experience (i.e. on-campus courses, official study abroad programs, or internships for credit), approved funds will be credited towards your student account within a few days of application approval to be used to directly offset the costs of the program.
  • If you will not be receiving University of Missouri credit hours as part of the experience (i.e. travel to/registration for an academic conference, alternative break trips, research projects), the approved funding amount will be reimbursed to you once receipts and a completed W9 form are submitted.
  • Please note that HC-ELTA funds can only be used to reimburse approved expenses made by the student. Expenses, even those approved, that are covered by faculty members, staff, departments, or other entities are not eligible to be reimbursed.
The following materials will be required as part of your application submission. An application for funding will not be considered complete and will not be reviewed until all relevant documents are submitted.
  • A letter outlining the following:
    • A detailed description of the experience
    • What you expect to learn by utilizing your funding in this way
    • Why you wish to utilize your award funding for this specific opportunity
    • How utilizing your funding in this way will impact your future plans
  • Program information from the official sponsoring organization
  • A document that includes:
    • An itemized budget of your estimated expenses
    • Documentation of any other funding sources for this opportunity for which you have applied, and the status of those applications
    • A timeline of your experience.
  • Your current CV/Résumé. You must include the Honors College in the Education section and, if applicable, the Scholars & Fellows program in which you are a participant in another section of the résumé.

Depending on the experience for which you are applying for funding, certain additional documents may be required as part of your application. Please see all relevant circumstances below for details on required supplemental documents.

  • If your experience is an official MU-sponsored study abroad program (click here to search for your program if you are unsure), you will need to submit a screenshot or digital copy of your electronically-signed Risk & Release form (found in the “Signature Documents” section of your Study Abroad Program Application Page).
  • If your experience is not an official MU-sponsored study abroad program (i.e. an academic conference, research project, alternative break trip, etc.), you are required to sign up in the Student International Travel Registry, and will need to provide a screenshot or digital copy of your electronically-signed Risk & Release form (found on your Student International Travel Registry Program Application Page).
  • If your experience is an academic conference, you will need to submit:
    • A document showing confirmation of conference registration
    • A letter from your faculty mentor supporting the value of the experience for you
    • If you will be presenting at the conference, you will also need to submit a copy of your abstract, including the title and all authors.


Apply Here


Additional Funding Sources

Students are encouraged to utilize all possible funding sources to support their out-of-class experiential learning opportunities. Below is a brief list of known sources of further/additional funding. As we do not control, advise, or select students for these opportunities, we cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information (which is correct at the time provided to us, but subject to change).

  1. The MU Office of Undergraduate Research offers undergraduate research travel grants for students presenting their research at professional meetings and conferences.
  2. The MU International Center provides an extensive resource list of both university and external funding opportunities for students studying abroad.
  3. The College of Arts & Science lists scholarships and awards, including those for travel, offered by various A&S Departments.
  4. The Douglas D. Randall Young Scientists Development Fund provides travel awards to undergraduate students doing life sciences research as a member of the Interdisciplinary Plant Group, the College of Veterinary Medicine, the Comparative Medicine Program, the Division of Biological Sciences, or the College of Agriculture, Food, and Natural Resources.