The Honors College welcomes applications from any student who feels that they have an academic record or traits of learning and intellect that will make them a successful Honors student at MU.
We seek students with a myriad of accomplishments, traits, skills, experiences, and views on education. Ours is a program that adds value and enhances a student’s education and we want students who are up for the challenge and want to do the work required to flourish.
Please keep in mind, that admission to the Honors College is competitive and selective; not all applicants will be admitted and there is no specific criteria or level of achievement that will assure anyone of acceptance.
We consider every applicant through a holistic review process of their credentials, and when considering you for admission, if you are applying as a first-time college student, we look at:
- your accomplishments and activities throughout high school, including your intentional, sustained, and meaningful involvement in clubs, organizations, sports, civic programs, employment, volunteer work, and more.
- your approach to learning and leadership, as gleaned from your answers to the required essay questions.
- your official ACT and/or SAT scores (* SAT scores (Critical Reading and Math only) are converted to ACT scores by the MU Admissions Office).
- your class rank (if your school ranks its students) and the strength of your curriculum, which includes the levels of coursework and achievement in a challenging academic environment.
- your Core GPA or Enhanced Core GPA, whichever is higher, as calculated by MU Admissions from your official U.S. or international high school transcript.
When considering you for admission if you are applying as a current MU or transfer student, we look at:
- your grades from any and all institutions from which you have received college credit (including dual credit during high school), especially within your major, and (if a transfer student) any prior honors courses.
- your stated goals and reasons for wanting to join the Honors College.
- and your course plan for completion of the Honors Certificate.
Important Dates and Deadlines
Please be aware of the various dates regarding admission into the MU Honors College:
Applications for incoming freshmen open on August 15 and close on March 01 of each year.
DEADLINE for the MU Honors College scholarships, Scholars & Fellows programs, and Stamps Scholars is December 01.
For transfer students and current MU students, please see the respective webpages for the deadlines that have been established in order to apply for the next applicable semester. Please note that in many cases applications are due at least one full semester before you plan to begin taking honors courses.
Apply for Admission
So we can direct you to the right place, are you …