Current Mizzou Students
Current MU students who have excelled in their academics are enthusiastically encouraged to join the Honors College. Many opportunities for unique and small classes, high-impact programming, research and artistry, and our residential Honors Learning Community can still have a significant impact on a student’s education.
Honors is far more than just a means to an end. It is an experience that can truly change your post-MU trajectory and can provide you with the educational challenges and opportunities you have been looking for. We are looking for upper-class students who will integrate into Honors whole-heartedly, enthusiastically, and who is striving for all-around excellence.
For students entering Fall 2018 or later:
You are eligible for admission to the Honors College if:
- You are a Mizzou student who has completed at least 12 credit hours
- You have a cumulative Mizzou GPA of 3.7 or higher
- You have never been a member of the Honors College, and
- You have not earned more than 75 credit hours or be beyond the fifth semester of your college career (as defined by full-time status).
In order to be considered for admission a current MU student must submit the following required materials:
- An Application for Admission to the Honors College
- A Personal Statement addressing why you want to be a part of the Honors College (including enrollment in Honors courses and participation in Honors programming).
- Submission of a Proposed Honors Completion Plan document that provides a detailed listing of Honors course options that the student intends to follow in order to complete the required Honors coursework.
Students applying for admission into the Honors College for Fall Semester must apply by Feb 1
Students applying for admission into the Honors College for Spring Semester must apply by Sep 30
The following is the process that the College will follow in considering your application.
- The Honors College Admissions Committee (consisting of five members, chaired by the Director) will review all applications and make a decision.
- All decisions are final and will be communicated to the student via email and letter.
- Decisions will be made on the basis of academic achievement, personal statement, and reasonableness of the completion plan.
- Decisions will not be based on a student’s financial need, thus the process is officially “need-blind”.
Notification and Enrollment
- Students who apply for Fall will be notified by Feb 20 and be officially enrolled as of that date, in time for priority registration for SU and FA semesters.
- Students who apply for Spring will be notified by Oct 20 and be officially enrolled as of that date, in time for priority registration for SP semester.
- Students will not be eligible for Honors College grants, awards, and scholarships until they are actually enrolled in and taking coursework during their first full semester of Honors College.
This Fall 18 and after policy takes effect on 01 June 2018 as approved and passed by the Honors Council (16 March 2018).
All students applying after that date are not eligible for enrollment until Spring 2019.