In order to remain enrolled in the Honors College, students must fulfill both the GPA and Course Enrollment Requirements:
- For students enrolling at Mizzou for the first time in the fall semester, 2014, or later: To retain membership and enrollment in the Honors College, students must maintain a Mizzou cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above. Students with a Mizzou cumulative GPA below 3.5 will receive a warning letter the first semester in which this occurs. Students with a Mizzou cumulative GPA below 3.5 for a second consecutive semester will no longer be members of the Honors College.
- If a student falls below a 3.0 GPA (cumulative) at the end of any semester, they will be immediately dismissed from the Honors College; no probationary semester will be given. With the permission of the Director, however, students may be permitted to remain enrolled in and complete the Honors courses in which they are already enrolled.
- Students who are dismissed and who then wish to reapply to the Honors College, once raising their GPA above the College requirements, must meet the eligibility requirements for current Mizzou students.
- Students wishing to appeal their dismissal must first speak to one of our Advisors. Appeals will be heard by the Honors Committee and a final decision rendered. Appeals are usually only granted in exceptional circumstances.
Course Enrollment Requirement
- First-time College Students: Students who join the Honors College as first-year students will be required to complete two honors courses per year for their first two years at Mizzou.*
- Mizzou students who join the Honors College in their sophomore year and transfer students who are admitted with sophomore standing will be required to complete two courses in their first year of Honors College membership.*
- Mizzou students who join the Honors College after their second year and transfer students who are admitted with junior or senior standing will be exempted from the participation requirement.*
*Many of our Scholars & Fellows programs, the Mizzou Land Grant Honors (MLGH) awards, and National Merit Finalists awards all require one course per semester which is distinctly different than two courses per year. Please make sure that you understand the terms of your award and Scholars & Fellows program as it pertains to this requirement.
Almost all honors courses will count toward this requirement, including: honors-designated courses; Honors Learning-by-Contract; Independent Study; Study Abroad; and approved graduate courses. At this time, only Honors FIG pro-seminars do not count toward the Honors course requirements for first-year students.
Please note that Summer courses count as a distinct and trailing semester, and unless approved in advance, will not count toward these requirements.
Policy passed by Honors Council, 01 October 2013. Policies reaffirmed by the Honors College Committee, 22 September 2017.