The Honors College welcomes highly accomplished and academically talented transfer students. Those students, looking to transfer to MU, who have excelled in their academics are enthusiastically encouraged to consider the Honors College as an added component of their collegiate experience. Many opportunities for unique and small classes, high-impact programming, research and artistry, and our residential Honors Learning Community can still have a significant impact on a student’s education. And your years of experience and leadership are a valuable commodity, instantly giving you the opportunity to stand out at Mizzou.
For the latest campus visit COVID-related information, visit admissions.missouri.edu/covid19. Transfer students interested in the Honors College should contact our Admissions & Outreach Coordinator Enola-Riann White at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an informational session.
As a transfer student, you are eligible for admission to the Honors College if:
- You have completed at least 12 credit hours of college credit at an accredited institution.
- You have a cumulative collegiate GPA of 3.7 or higher. This includes grades from any and all institutions from which you have received college credit, including dual credit during high school, with particular attention paid to honors courses and courses within your major.
- You have not earned more than 75 credit hours or be beyond the fifth semester of your college career (as defined by full-time status).
You do not have to have been a member of an Honors College or Program, but if you have, you may only transfer up to 9 honors credits if they appear as honors credits on your previous college or university transcript, to count toward the Honors Certificate.
Qualified Admissions Agreements for MU and MO Community Colleges
The University of Missouri Honors College, in a continuing effort to be transfer-friendly within the State of Missouri, offers students from specific Community College partner schools the opportunity to transfer into the MU Honors College through special arrangements. These arrangements apply to the following schools:
- Jefferson College (FA 2020 and beyond)
- Metro Community College (FA 2020 and beyond)
- Mineral Area Community College (Sp 2020 and beyond)
- Moberly Area Community College (SP 2021 and beyond)
- Ozarks Technical Community College (FA 2019 and beyond)
The agreements, by school, can be found on the Office of Admissions’ website. These agreements allow students to transfer with extended deadlines (up to August 1 for Fall and January 1 for Spring), additional honors transfer hours that count toward program completion (if you have earned an AA), and possible scholarship support.
Students from each of the schools should refer to the agreements and terms before applying.
MU Honors students must be admitted and enrolled as MU degree-seeking students. While enrolled in the Mizzou-MAAC Program, students are not eligible to enroll in MU Honors College courses. For those Mizzou-MAAC students who are interested in joining the Honors College once your enrollment is officially transferred to MU, please contact the MU Transfer Center.
In order to be considered for admission a transfer MU student must submit the following required materials:
- An Application for Admission to the Honors College
- A Personal Statement addressing why you want to be a part of the Honors College (including enrollment in Honors courses and participation in Honors programming).
- Submission of a Proposed Honors Completion Plan document that provides a detailed listing of Honors course options that the student intends to follow in order to complete the required Honors coursework. You must call our office at 573-882-3893 to set up an appointment with an advisor to discuss your options for completing these plans. If you live out of town and cannot meet in person, please mention this when you call the office and you will be set up with a phone appointment. Please be advised that the University of Missouri is closed during the week between December 25 and January 1 and staff will not be available.
Transfer students applying for admission into the Honors College for fall semesters must apply by Feb 1*
Transfer students applying for admission into the Honors College for spring semesters must apply by Sep 30*
* These dates do not apply for students applying from one of our Community College Qualified Admissions partner schools. Those deadlines are August 1 and January 1, respectively.
The following is the process that the College will follow in considering your application.
- The Honors College Admissions Committee (consisting of five members, chaired by the Director) will review all applications and make a decision.
- All decisions are final and will be communicated to the student via email and letter.
- Decisions will be made on the basis of academic achievement, personal statement, and reasonableness of the completion plan.
- Decisions will not be based on a student’s financial need, thus the process is officially “need-blind”.
Notification and Enrollment
- Students who apply for fall will be notified by Feb 20 and be officially enrolled as of that date, in time for priority registration for summer and fall semesters.
- Students who apply for spring will be notified by Oct 20 and be officially enrolled as of that date, in time for priority registration for spring semester.
- Students will not be eligible for Honors College grants, awards, and scholarships until they are actually enrolled in and taking coursework during their first full semester of Honors College.
The transfer admissions policy was put into effect on 01 June 2018 as approved and passed by the Honors Council (16 March 2018).